Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hard lesson to learn

As most of you know the boys have been playing football. They started in July and this weekend is the final game. They have worked super hard this season. They have been talking about this game all season! It is THE game. The games will be played in the NAU sky dome. It is a pretty big deal for these little guys. Anyway, they were at practice last night and they found out that both of their games will be played on Sunday. Kyron's coach has known that we would not be there if it was on a Sunday. So he put in a request weeks ago to play on Saturday. Obviously that request was not met. So he was great about understanding that Kyron would not play in the last game. Also Luke takes stats for Kyron's team so they are losing Luke too. Kason's coach on the other hand had no idea of our reasons for not being there on Sunday. So this was Kason's conversation with his coach.

Coach: Our game will be Sunday at 11 am so you need to be there at 10 am!
Kason: Coach, I won't be there :(
Coach: Why not?
Kason: Because it is on a Sunday. I go to church on Sunday.
Coach: What time?
Kason: I'm not sure.
Coach: Well dang it Kason!

We go to church at 1 pm but Kason told me that he didn't want to tell him what time we went at because than his coach would have said, "our game is before church". I thought that was funny. He just didn't want to have to explain anymore. We go to church and that is that!

They were definitely bummed last night. I was super proud of them for not asking questions or asking to go. They just knew that Sunday is out of the question. I can only imagine how their little hearts must feel because it broke mine. To have worked so hard on something for 4 months and then not be there for the final game. Not only the final game but Kason is playing for the championship game. They are undefeated! He stood up for what we believe and that makes me prouder than anything he could do on the football field. I know it isn't easy but it is worth it.

By the way, Kyron's team is no longer winless. They won one game, 31-0! It was very exciting!

We just had to tell them that there will be a next time. We are so proud of them and Heavenly Father is even prouder! But what a tough lesson to learn.

20 comments:

Carol said...

ahhhh...that's such a sweet story. your kids are so good and your such a good example for them. way to stand up!

Nicki said...

What great boys! Its funny, I've never had to deal with that kind of stuff here in Utah. Have I mentioned your family pics turned out SO great. Your kids are all so photogenic!

Melis said...

I think we are all proud of that decision. You and Luke are great parents and have taught them well to stand up for what they believe to be right. Way to go boys! You are both winners this time!

Amanda said...

Ahh that is so cute. That tells you right there you guys have taught them well. Kason is so sweet. It doesn't susprise me that he did that. I just wanna give him a hug... Oh wait I can't I'm in Vegas and we will never live by eachother. sad sad sad... lol jk

lisa said...

That is so awesome! What good, good boys! What a good example! Awesome.

Nikki said...

Aww. That is a hard one. How easy it would be to say just this one time but then the lesson would bever be learned. Good Boys!

Jess said...

What a good example your family is for everyone! You have such good boys who have been taught so well by their parents. Thanks for sharing this.

Hannah said...

You are a great Mom and Dad for teaching your boys so well. We all can take a lesson from this! I think I would be tempted to bend the rules just this one time, but I admire you for sticking to your guns! I know the boys will blessed for standing up for what they believe in! So sweet!

wendy said...

this is one more reason why i love your family. hopefully they can teach my boys a thing or two.

Kirsten said...

Your boys are so good! They have a great mom. Doesn't it drive you crazy that they always seem to do the important games on Sunday? Come on people? If they just did it on Saturday, then everybody would always be able to play.

Dawn said...

Poor guys, but it sure makes it easier down the road...

Chantz H. Davis said...

I know your boys don't know me or even care what I think but that story brought tears to my eyes!!! Good job guys!!!

Tiffany said...

Oh how sad for them, but you guys are such good parents, I really admire you for doing what's right. Miss ya

Rylee said...

I am teary eyed too! What good boys! Little missionaries in training!

FrankNApril said...

What an example to all of us! Awesome! God is so proud of you! April

Colleen said...

I am so proud of you, Kyron and Kason and every bit as proud of your Mom and Dad! This is a decision and choice that is sure to give you a "Christ-centered" life and that can only be good. What examples you all are!

Jodi said...

Linde, You need to send this to the Friend magazine. I'm sorry that they had to miss. I wish the world would recognize Sunday for the day it's intended to be. You're a great mom and your raising great kids! It was wonderful seeing you and your family. It made me miss you more.

Mandy said...

Good lesson, wish I was that good sometime!! Can't wait til December, hint hint! Love you all.

Jason & Claire said...

What good boys! I LOVE Kason's conversaion and how he just ended it at that. You have a really good attitude about it and I'm sure that's where they learned it from.

Jennifer said...

Just goes to show you're doing a great job! Poor guys, I bet they were so bummed, you should be proud of them.