Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bees

This is a SUPER LoNg story so feel free to read or skip on through!

So a few weeks ago I got a phone call from the school nurse. She said that she had Kason in her office because he had been stung by 3 wasps. At first I kinda laughed because first of all for anyone who knows my kids, Kason would be the one to get stung and second 3 wasps, not one or two but three. So I asked if he was ok and she said yes, she just wanted to know if he had ever been stung or if he was allergic. I told her he had been stung by a bumble bee before and he was fine. So she went ahead and put some kind of cream on him and sent him back to class. When he got home from school I checked out the one on his arm but didn't even look at the ones on his legs because he had pants on. The one on his arm looked fine. He said he was good and ran to his room to get dressed for football. While we were at practice he ran off the field crying HARD telling me that he couldn't breath. So I hurried and took off his helmet and loosened his shoulder pads. My first thought was that he was allergic and that his throat was swelling. I really didn't know what to do. I gave him a drink and told him to sit down. I checked his throat, not that I could probably see anything anyway. After he calmed down and stopped crying he said that he was fine and ran back out to play. I was super worried because he doesn't ever complain about anything so when he does there is usually something really wrong. We watched him close that night and all seemed fine. Then the next day is when we went camping for our family reunion. Well Kooper was sitting on an old stump when all of the sudden he started running crying and moving his arms around really funny. We took his shirt off and he had been stung 6 times by some stupid bees! Poor guy. He was crying and complaining. When he was trying to tell us what happened (since we can't understand much of what he says) we just kept hearing him say bbbzzzzzzz! So all night he would tell us bbbzzzzzzzz! So we got some benadryl down him right away. Later that night we were sitting around the camp fire and I just happened to look at Kasons ankles and they were HUGE! It looked like he had a muscle disorder or elephantitis or something bad! I could not quit staring at them and at the same time feeling like the worst Mom in the world. I still can't believe that I didn't notice before then. They looked so painful and they were red and swollen. It was awful. So I gave him some benadryl (better late then never, right?). Obviously he was allergic. So that night my Dad and Luke poored diesel all over the stump. So the stump burnt and burnt for days. If all that wasn't enough on the last day Kooper was stung 2 more times! So 8 times total for him! So again he would complain about the bbbzzzzzzz! They had the worst luck. Those two were just targets. So anyway, last night I was cooking dinner and Kooper was in his room getting a bunch of trucks to haul outside. I could hear our neighbor weed eating and didn't think a thing about it. Kooper opened the door and walked out on the porch. He just stood there for a short second. All of the sudden he dropped his trucks, started shaking and crying. He turned and tried to run in the house. He tripped and couldn't get to me fast enough. When I finally picked him up I said what's the matter? All he could say was bbbzzzzzz bbzzzzzzz bbbzzzzzz! I had to laugh and show him the man next door weed eating. He seriously thought that bees were coming to get him. My poor little boys. Now I know that Kason is allergic and I will definitely be checking all of his bites next time. That was a long story but just wanted to remember it!

8 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe they were stung that many times. Poor boys! I felt bad for them the whole time I was reading this...until I read the part about the weed-eater and him being scared of it. That's sad but still kinda funny.

PS- Kenzi looks so stinkin' cute in her cheerleading outfit below.

Markee said...

poor Kooper he thinks the bees are out to get him!!!!

FrankNApril said...

Linde,
Thank goodness they are ok!
How sad and I know you feel bad!I would too but they are all ok! How scary! April

Hannah said...

Okay, if this comment is a duplicate I am sorry, it gave me some really crazy error message. So I will try again.

I feel so bad for both of the boys, I hope they now have their quota of bee stings for their life!

I so enjoy coming and looking at your blog, I just love seeing the beautiful pictures of the kids.
I miss you all so much, we so wish we were going to be in Eagar for Thanksgiving! Maybe next year!!(-:

Jennifer said...

Ok, I got stung by a bee Saturday night. They hurt! and my tongue started to swell up and all I could think about was Kason and Elephantitis! Poor boys.

Amanda said...

That was so sad seeing Koop being stung. But he was so funny when he would tell us about it. Kason's legs looked like they could be on the Discovery channel. lol :)

Kirsten said...

I am so sad for those boys. I have been stung by a bee before and it really hurts. I can't imagine being stung that many times all at once! Poor boys! :(

Shannon said...

Poor guys! Cam got stung twice on the eye and it was swollen shut! I feel bad...not a fun time!!