Monday, October 20, 2008

Obsession

Most of you know of the love that Kooper has for his nose and ears. He just simply cannot helpbut to put whatever he can in them. If he doesn't have anything to put in them he just puts his finger in them. Especially his nose. It drives me SO crazy because he looks like he picks his nose ALL the time! Every time he puts anything in his nose he tells me. We have dug many things out of his ears and nose but thankfully it has never taken too much effort until...Saturday night! He came and told me he put something up his nose. We could tell just by looking at him. One side of his nose was totally sticking out! We tried asking him what it was and of course we couldn't understand a word he said. It was so far up his nose that I had to get a flashlight out to see it. He would run around and play and then he would stop and say ouch! Well duh of course it hurts! So with the help of Luke holding him down I tired and tried to get it out with tweezers. I couldn't get a good hold on it, it was too far up! So we tried every trick there was. We tried to get him to blow, but getting an almost 2 year old to blow is impossible. He can make the sound with his mouth but doesn't get the whole blowing part. He even sneezed alot of times but as soon as he was done he sniffed everything back up! Luke and Kason are both pretty big wimps when it comes to anything like this. Although Luke helped hold him down once he was not about to do that again. It hurts him to bad to watch! Kooper was pretty good about holding still until the tweezers touched the object in his nose and then he just would freak! I got the baby nose syringe (aka the booger sucker) and tried to get it with that. It didn't work, except for getting all the boogers out that he had from crying! So finally I just got the tweezers one more time and just dug until I finally got it! OUCH! I know it had to hurt but maybe just maybe he will not do it again! We are still not sure what exactly it was. It was about the size of a dime and about 3 times as thick. How he ever got that up his nose is beyond me. It almost looked and felt like and eraser but it wasn't one. Who knows, but at least it is out! So we told the older kids that every time they see him put anything up his nose to slap his hand and tell him NO! mean I know but this may just save him from having to go through that again.

By the way if I wouldn't have been able to get it out I would have just waited until today to take him to the doctor. I wouldn't have went on a Saturday night and waited forever in the ER! Mean again I know, but he could breath fine. It wasn't up both sides!

14 comments:

Chelsee said...

I have been waiting for a story like this from him, but I did think it would envolve and ER visit. hopefully he learned his lesson.

Colleen said...

he's reminding me more and more of his Uncle Dan everyday! Sticking things up his nose was Dan's hobby for awhile. I wish I'd kept track of how many things I pulled out! Hot wheels tires were his favorites. This probably won't be the last time you have to play the mean mom! :)

Kirsten said...

I feel bad for Kooper. I'm sure that had to hurt! On the other hand, I have to laugh at the mental picture of you trying to dig that thing out of his nose. It's such a MOM thing to do. You never imagine all the bizarre things you will have to do in your life, until after you have kids. I don't know how many times I've had to glue Lincoln's head back together after he's split it open.

By the way, I hate the ER! I will give my own kids stitches before I will take them to the ER.

Jennifer said...

That's so sad. I stuck something up my nose when I was a baby and my mom didn't know. She finally took me to the doctor because I was talking funny and my breath smelled bad. He pulled out a cracker wrapper!...I still have issues.

Dustin said...

My niece has the same problem...she stuck some fake eyes up her nose! Her mom removed them with tweezers too! I can only imagine what Braden will be putting up his nose!!

Kasey Sass said...

I hate to laugh, but that is pretty funny! What is it with kids and their noses??

I did that when I was about his age too. You know those little green plastic BBs that used to come with toy guns? Yep! I shoved a bunch of them right up my nose.

Poor Kooper! Hopefully he's learned that sticking things up there might not be the best idea.

Mandy said...

YUCK!! Luckily none of my kids ever did that. I know how you are about the booger sucker, you probably enjoyed that a little! LOL.

Melis said...

That was painful to read! I'm so glad you got it out without an ER visit. I also understand what you mean about Luke not hardly being able to help. Ben is that same way! Anything uncomfortable to watch -- even exploded poopy diapers -- would drive him over the edge. He can't hardly even watch an embarrassing movie without wanting to crawl out of his skin. Whimpy huh! Anyway, poor Kooper. I hope he doesn't do that again and you are NOT mean for slapping his hands when he tries it again. You are brave to keep trying and succeding in getting it out.

Diane said...

I'm glad none of mine ever did that.Jeremy did put a big chunk of sponge up his nose and they had a hard time getting that out.Glad he didn't put it into his ear that would have been bad.Our kids got their hands slapped and they don't have too many issues :).Glad you kept your cool and kept trying.

Nikki said...

That is too funny. I had a friend who's little boy did the same thing the other day and she works in the ER. She said to get it out the cover their mouth and blow up the side of the nose that is open and it forces it out. Crazy I know but I thought I would share just in case :)

Shannon said...

Oh, what a mess! I don't know what I would have done about that...I am laughing at the picture of him next to this story!

Amanda said...

after you called and told me the story I was laughing so hard it hurt. I knew that little stinker would get something stuck up there. i'm shocked it wasn't jis finger lol. Ohh kooper he is ALL boy thats for sure. I miss you guys so much.

Amanda said...

After reading Mandy's comment I bet you were loving using the booger sucker... lol Poor guy. When I have kids i'll let you get there boogers hahaha. ohhh remember when I stuck a bell up my nose and Nell had to get it out. You should have called her!

Dawn said...

eew! that is gross! Glad you were able to get it out, I would have waited too! My cousin did that when she was little (Jessica Finch-sorry jessi) and it ended up being a bean and it was so moist up there, it actually sprouted! Gross!