Thursday, February 4, 2010

Poor Kason

A few weeks ago Kason was standing in the kitchen and I saw blood coming through his white shirt on his back. I asked, "why he was bleeding?" He said, "he didn't know that he was." So when I lifted up his shirt I was surprised to see that he had some sort of rash all over his body. From his head to his calves. He had been itching so bad that he was now bleeding. I gave him benadryl and he was was fine in no time. Well the same thing just kept happening. It was really strange though because he never had it in the morning or during the day at school. It just happened every night around 5 oclock. So every night I would be so saddened by it that I wanted to take him to the Dr. but during business hours he didn't have a sign of a thing on his whole entire body. So I took pictures and after about 8 days of this I finally took him in to the Dr. The Dr. had many questions for Kason. It went something like this....

Dr: Are you stressed about about anything?

Kason: No

Dr: Do you have good friends?

Kason: Yes

Dr: Have you eaten anything different?

Kason: No

Dr: Is anything bothering you at home?

Kason: No

Dr: Is anything bothering you at school?

Kason: No

Dr: Does it ever bother you during the day?

Kason: No

Dr: Do you get good grades?

Kason: Yup just got straight A's on my report card yesterday

Dr: Can I see your back right now?

Kason: Yes, but there is nothing there.

Dr: Are you allergic to anything?

Kason: Yes, bees

So it kind of went on like that for a little bit. It was kinda funny. Kason didn't really even look up. He was a little embarrassed. The Dr. and I talked about foods, laundry soap, bath soap, shampoo and anything else we could think of. I had already thought of EVERYTHING there was to think of. Nothing has changed in our lives or in our family. Kason has always been my kids to eat anything you put in front of him, and I mean ANYTHING! I hadn't changed detergent or soaps. I wash his sheets. He has a lunch from home everyday and then once a week at the school. He has done this since his has been in school. We have a wood fireplace and have had for over a year. So he had been living on bendaryl every night. The Dr. said it was a mystery but from the pictures it definitely looked like a food allergy. He wanted to test him the following Monday. It was a Thursday and he couldn't have bendaryl again until after he was tested. It sometimes messes with the results. It was a miserable weekend for him but like clock work every night he would be covered with a rash that itched him like crazy. I would just rub lotion all over him and that seemed to help.

(these pictures don't even show how bad they really were, this was one of the milder days)


So Monday morning we were in the Dr's office for 3 hours. First they numbed his arms and wrapped them up for an hour. Then the shots began. He got 40 of them. Good thing he had his DS.


After all the testing it came back that he wasn't allergic to one single food. Just as I had thought! So now we can either go do some more intense testing or just try and figure it out on our own. I think that I will just try and figure it out on my own. It is funny though, lately he hasn't hardly had any problems with it. A little, but nothing like it was. We will just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't flare up again. What a mystery though.

9 comments:

Nicki said...

It is SO frustrating when nobody can tell you what is wrong! OUCH, those shots look painful. Tough kid! Hope you find out soon what is going on.

Carol said...

oh. my. gosh!!! that is awful! poor Kason. 40 shots????? crazy. sure hope it all just goes away.

Tori said...

Wow that is crazy. I'm glad he's not allergic to any food. I just wonder what in the world causes it. Hmm..Let us know if you figure it out!

Shannon said...

Oh, my gosh! That's terrible...those shots look painful! So frusterating when you can't get answers! Hope he gets better and you figure it out!

The Dutton's said...

Did you think to try Dr. Bowman?
Just a suggestion!

Markee said...

That is So sad! Poor little guy, hopefully you figure out what it is!!

Chelsee said...

Poor Kason! that looks miserable. i hope you figure it out!

Kirsten said...

Oh my gosh! That kid is a trooper! I hope you guys can figure out what's wrong!

The Giraldi Family said...

Marcos has told me that the same thing happened to him as a kid. He would get horrible rashes and hives only at night, every night. They didn't have a lot of medicines and money in Chile, so he said he would just go to bed so he could forget about it and it was gone in the morning. Strange. He doesn't get rashes every night now, but he does still get hives occasionally. Good luck! Doesn't sound very fun!